Business Tax Credits
Business tax credits are credits that are available to businesses and are used to offset a company’s financial obligation to the government.
Your general tax credits for the year consists of your carryforward of business credits from prior years plus the total of your current year business tax credits. In addition, your general business credits for the current year may be increased later by the carryback of tax credits from later years. You subtract this credit directly from your tax.
All of the following business tax credits, with the exception of the electric vehicle credit, are part of the general tax credits. The form you use to figure each credit is shown below.
- Form 3800, General Business Credit (PDF)
- Form 3468, Investment Credit (PDF)
- Form 5735, American Samoa Economic Development Credit (PDF)
- Form 5884, Work Opportunity Credit (PDF)
- Form 6478, Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel (PDF)
- Form 6765, Credit for Increasing Research Activities (PDF)
- Form 8586, Low-Income Housing Credit (PDF)
- Form 8611, Recapture of Low-Income Housing Credit (PDF)
- Form 8820, Orphan Drug Credit(PDF)
- Form 8826, Disabled Access Credit (PDF)
- Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit (PDF)
- Form 8835, Renewable Electricity Production Credit (PDF)
- Form 8844, Empowerment Zone Employment Credit (PDF)
- Form 8845, Indian Employment Credit (PDF)
- Form 8846, Credit for Employer Social Security and Medicare Taxes Paid on Certain Employee Tips (PDF)
- Form 8847, Credit for Contributions to Selected Community Development Corporations (PDF)
- Form 8864, Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit (PDF)
- Form 8874, New Markets Credit (PDF)
- Form 8881, Credit for Small Employer Pension Plan Startup Costs (PDF)
- Form 8882, Credit for Employer-Provided Childcare Facilities and Services (PDF)
- Form 8896, Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Production Credit (PDF)
- Form 8900, Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit (PDF)
- Form 8906, Distilled Spirits Credit (PDF)
- Form 8907, Nonconventional Source Fuel Credit (PDF)
- Form 8908, Energy Efficient Home Credit (PDF)
- Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit (PDF)
- Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (PDF)
- Form 8923, Mine Rescue Team Training Credit(PDF)
How to Claim business tax credits
To claim a general business tax credits, you will first have to get the forms you need to claim your current year business tax credits.
In addition to the credit form, in most cases, you may also need to file Form 3800.
Form 1040 Schedule C
If you file a Form 1040 Schedule C, you may be eligible to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). To learn more about EITC, refer to It’s easier than ever to find out if you qualify for EITC, or use the EITC Assistant to find out if you are eligible.
Business Tax Credits
Tax Accountant said IRS delays start of tax season for individual returns would be postponed until February 17 with some as late as March
How Accountants in Miami Increase Client Satisfaction. If you are an Accountant not focused on improving your level of client satisfaction, you should be.